Thursday, October 25, 2007

Ken's Tacos

OK, so I'm starting out this blog with a slight prejudice: Ken's makes the best breakfast tacos in the World.

That's right, Kids. These tacos are so good that I've been coming here for at least 13 or 14 years, maybe a bit more. A coworker named Rock (at Fisher Controls) turned me and many others on to this place and it's been my favorite breakfast ever since.

(The full name of the restaurant is actually Ken's Sub's, Taco's & More.)

So, what makes these tacos so good?

First off, everything here is made to order so it's not sitting around under a heat lamp - but they're fast enough that you aren't left waiting forever either.

Remember the old "Burger King" song "have it your way..."? At Ken's you really have them build your taco however you want. A standard "one meat" taco is $1.69 with up to 4 items (not including cheese, a $0.25 extra). You can pay more and get 2 or 3 meats if you want and a meat-less taco is only $1.49. My favorite - sausage, potato, eggs, refried beans and cheese - is $2.04. What a Bargain!

Then there's the size: these tacos are BIG. There's so much crammed in the tortilla that is nearly impossible to eat without dropping half the goodies. My old buddy Rock filed me in on a little secret way back when and now I'm going to tell the world... Ready? Order an "extra tortilla". It's only 2 bits. Then you split your fillings in half between the 2 tortillas - adding plenty of Ken's great salsa as you go - and you have 2 tacos that are a manageable size.

Ken's prices are reasonable (my "usual" taco, extra tortilla and large drink comes to $3.50), the selection is good and the ingredients are always fresh. Also, the staff is very friendly, including Ken who seems to be there about half the times that I go.

There's always got to be a problem, though. Right? Ken's problem is that there isn't enough parking during the "rush" periods. Some people end up parking at the 7-11 next door, which used to be a really bad idea because they would tow your car but I don't think it's that bad any more. Overall it's a minor issue.

(On a side note, Ken's also makes the best Philly Cheesesteak I've ever had outside of South Philadelphia.)

Ken added Sweet Tea to the drink menu sometime in the last year or so. It's not the best but it's good. Hey, give the Yankee a break - at least he's trying.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Ken's makes me happy. They have lots of other menu items, too, but I'm just kinda "stuck" on the tacos and cheesesteaks.

1 comment:

Korey.V said...

Really, try going to Nueva Onda, they blow Ken's out of the water, but I am biased they are the closest to El Paso tacos I have had in Austin!